Monday, April 14, 2008

MMMM Homemade Whole Wheat Bread

Soooo....I know that it has been a very long time since I have updated my blog. I have been so busy...I will try to catch up a little later. Lately I have been making my own wheat bread. I have had whole grain wheat in my emergency food storage for over fifteen years and really had no means to do anything with it. I have been wanting to buy my own mill so that I could grind it into flour and use it. Wheat can store for over 40 years but I didn't want to wait that long to try it out. So at Easter time I talked to Kirsten and she told me that she makes her own bread for her family out of her wheat storage and she got me started on purchasing the things that I needed to get going. She even gave me her recipe that is just...outa-this-world!!
Here is what I start with, hard white wheat, I mix it half and half with hard red wheat.

This is my new mill. It is amazing how fast it mills the wheat into fine flour.



Here is the flour. I also use it to make these outa-this-world cookies.



This is my Bosch mixer. This is a must-have for bread making. This is also what I use to make my famous rolls. I have had it for about 25 years and it is a work horse.




The recipe makes four loaves. Here they are rising. They need to rise for at least an hour.




Now it is time to put them into the oven. Oh ... the aroma!


Now they are cooling on the rack and now the whole house smell just wonderful.


The only thing better than homemade bread is homemade bread with homemade jam! I had some strawberries starting to get old in the fridge so I made a small batch of strawberry jam...mmmm



Here is Ada my quality control tester....she says "Yummy"
Peanut butter & jelly.



Calvin agrees!


It also is good with lunch meat. (dig that plate)


MMMMMM

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Very cool mom! that looks so yummy
love kellie

Anonymous said...

I would love to have your receipe. I love to make and eat homemade bread with my homemade jam. My grandmother and mother were bread makers from way back. It is one of the delights of my life to make good wheat bread. I am a long time whole wheat bread lover........

About Me

My photo
California, United States

My Blog List

Analytics