Sunday, September 04, 2011

Kirby's Home!!!

A week ago we let the dogs out to go potty before we went to bed. (about midnight) Little did we know that there was a coyote (maybe more than one) lurking on the other side of the fence. I'm not sure what happened next but it wasn't good. We got a phone call from our neighbor that Kirby was laying on their porch and that he was injured. Michael scooped him up and brought him home. He did not look good, he was all bloody, in shock and in a lot of pain. I knew that if Paco wasn't with him, we wouldn't find him alive. I searched the neighborhood, but could not find him. These two were inseparable. My only guess of what could have happened was that the coyote hopped the fence and took Paco, who only weights 4 1/2 lbs. Kirby dug out of the yard and put up a huge fight to save Paco. I was just wondering this morning what kind of damage Kirby made on the coyote.



(drains to control the swelling)


We ended up taking Kirby to the HB Animal Hospital where they stitched him up and put in drains. He had a large laceration and over twenty puncture wounds. The skin had been torn away from the muscle (probably from being shaken like a rag doll). The poor guy is on two antibiotics and two pain killers. He stayed in the hospital for almost a week and came home yesterday.









(Dr. is showing us how to change the bandages.)





(Thank you Dr. Henderson.)











(The neighbors were happy to see Kirby come home)








(Establishing territory.)

We are so happy to have him back home. We still need to administer meds, clean his wounds and change his bandages daily, but he should be doing better in a few weeks. As for Paco, we miss him dearly. My only hope is that it went quickly for him. My heart is broken.


- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

1 comment:

Shauna said...

My heart goes out to you. Nothing like that should happen to family pets. It was good to see him again and doing okay. I read that there have been coyotes behind Jon's neighborhood. Hope Kirby gets better soon.

About Me

My photo
California, United States

My Blog List

Analytics